Commercial garage doors are essential for maximizing daily efficiencies and providing safe and convenient entry to your building or facility. But to get the most out of your garage door, you need a style and size that best fits your daily needs. Unfortunately, many new business owners may be unaware of the various garage door types and options available.
Commercial Garage Door Sizes
Before investing in a new commercial garage door, it’s essential to understand your style and sizing options to ensure the product you install facilitates easy entry for trucks and safe loading and unloading. A commercial garage door can add style, versatility and functionality to your property.
The two most common types of commercial garage doors are overhead and roll-up options:
- Overhead Doors: Standard overhead garage doors are 32 feet by 2 inches wide and 24 feet by 1 inch high. When considering which commercial garage door will best suit your daily activity, determine if this size will fit your needs. If not, look into finding garage door options that can be constructed with extra height dimensions or search for a larger type of commercial door, like a roll-up commercial door, with larger standard widths and heights. Overhead garage doors offer supreme weather resistance, high security and increased energy efficiency. Depending on the size of commercial overhead door you need, the style you want to achieve, and your garage space, you may want to consider different industrial options.
- Roll-Up Commercial Doors: Roll-up garage doors are ideal for spaces with limited headroom and are popular choices for many businesses because they are easy for workers to open and close. A roll-up door is typically 30 feet by 4 inches wide and 28 feet by 4 inches high. The benefits of this kind of industrial garage door are threefold. Because roll-up garage doors are made of steel, they offer tight security and strong resistance to weather conditions. They are incredibly durable and will last longer than other garage door styles. Due to their roll-up nature, theses commercial garage doors also save you space.
- Insulated Options: Many commercial garage doors are also available with added insulation to improve the energy efficiency of your facility and keep harsh weather conditions out of your space, like moisture and extreme temperatures. If your facility stores or transports sensitive materials, an insulated garage door is a perfect solution because they protect your interiors from potentially corrosive elements. But while these doors offer several benefits, they’re constructed a bit smaller at 30 feet by 2 inches wide and 24 feet by 1 inch high.
Making Your Choice: Standard Industrial Garage Door Sizes and Types
The style and material of your future garage door matter more than you might think. That’s why your knowledge about commercial garage door sizes and types is important. You want to make the right choice for your industry needs. Now that you’re familiar with the main kinds of standard industrial garage doors, here are more details about specific commercial garage doors, their sizes, and their benefits.
1. Rolling Steel Service Garage Doors
This kind of commercial overhead garage door comes in different sizes. If you’re looking for a garage door for a factory, a warehouse, or any other industrial facility, you need a durable and reliable garage door. A precisely sized, rolling steel industrial garage door will withstand impacts and perform consistently over time.
Depending on your garage door needs, rolling steel service doors can operate differently. Operation setups include chain hoist, manual lift, hand crank or automatic motor operation.
2. Roll-Up Sheet Garage Doors
Roll-up sheet garage doors are popular at loading docks, service buildings and storage facilities that require accessibility and stable construction. The sizes of this commercial garage door can be custom made to fit your needs. For instance, you can find rolling steel garage doors made to order in 18-, 20-, 22- and 24-gauge variations. These garage doors are easy to operate and can last a lifetime.
3. Sectional Ribbed Steel Garage Doors
This type of standard industrial garage door comes in many sizes. Sectional ribbed steel garage doors also come in a variety of patterns and gauges. These industrial doors are ideal for high-traffic distribution centers and loading docks. The ribbed look of these commercial doors can also add an element of design to your garage door aesthetic.
4. Aluminum and Glass Full-View Doors
Choosing the right commercial aluminum or glass garage door adds a pleasing sparkle to any space. Due to the transparency of this garage door style, natural light can make its way into your office, warehouse or indoor-outdoor space. Car dealerships, restaurants, firehouses and modern commercial retail spaces often make use of these beautiful garage doors.
To Insulate or Not to Insulate?
Many commercial garage doors are also available with added insulation to improve the energy efficiency of your facility and keep harsh weather conditions out of your space, like moisture and extreme temperatures. If your facility stores or transports sensitive materials, an insulated garage door is a perfect solution because it protects your interiors from potentially harmful elements. Insulated garage doors are also better at keeping noise out.
But while these doors offer several benefits, they’re constructed a bit smaller, at 30 feet by 2 inches wide and 24 feet by 1 inch high. Still, if you live in a place with extreme weather conditions, insulating your commercial overhead or roll-up garage door is well worth it.
All sizes mentioned above are ideal for standard truck sizes to drive in and out easily and safely. If you anticipate larger trucks or equipment needing access to your property, you would benefit from having a custom-sized commercial garage door installed.
By understanding the standard commercial garage door sizes available, you can better anticipate your needs and determine which truck sizes can easily access your property. You can also have a better idea of typical costs and understand how to better negotiate product and installation costs.
If you’re unsure about what kind or size of commercial garage door you need, it always helps to speak with a professional garage door specialist.
Learn More With Banko Overhead Doors
At Banko Overhead Doors, we have over 30 years of commercial garage door installation, repair and maintenance service throughout Tampa, FL, and its surrounding areas, including Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Herndon, Manatee, Sarasota and Polk Counties. We offer a wide selection of commercial garage doors that can suit your business needs, and many styles are available in customizable sizing options. For our customers’ convenience, we also offer free installation estimates, rapid response times and fair pricing with no hidden costs.
Schedule a service estimate today by completing our online form or call us today at 813.737.0675 to speak to a commercial garage door specialist.