When programming a new accessory for your garage door opener, instructions may direct you to locate the machine’s learn button. But what, exactly, is a learn button — and how can you easily find it? The learn button on your garage door has two primary functions: to either pair new accessories with the opener or completely clear the memory, including all past connections with accessories or remotes.Fix My Garage Door
Locating Your Garage Door Opener’s Learn Button
What your garage door button looks like and where it’s located on your machine depends on what brand and type of opener you have. Typically, for a Chamberlain or LiftMaster garage door opener, the colored learn button will be located on the back of the machine. To locate your LiftMaster remote learn button:
- First, find the antenna dangling from the bottom of the machine.
- If you have a light cover placed over the control panel, remove it to easily view the dashboard.
- Find a brightly colored — red, green, purple or yellow — square or circular button on the back panel, likely located under the light lens.
Programming Your Garage Door Opener Using the Learn Button
Once you’ve located your LiftMaster garage door opener’s learn button, likely located on the back panel of your LiftMaster machine, you can now use this feature to easily and quickly program garage door remotes or other accessories. How to properly program your equipment will greatly depend on which color your garage door opener’s learn button is.
Red, Orange, Green or Purple Learn Buttons
Learn buttons that are red, orange, green or purple will be large, square buttons located under the light lens on the back panel of your garage door opener.
To program a new garage door remote, press and quickly release your learn button to trigger the machine’s programming mode. The light located above the button will then come on and stay lit for 30 seconds.
If you need to clear the memory of your garage door opener, press and hold your opener’s learn button. The light above the button will turn on and shut off after six seconds have elapsed. Once the light is no longer on, your garage door opener will be cleared of previous keyless entry and remote control connections.
Circular Yellow Colored Buttons
If you have a circular yellow learn button on your machine, you have slightly different steps to program the controls and clear the machine’s memory. Programming remotes and accessories is simple — just press and release the learn button and the LED light above or near the button will turn on and stay steady for up to two minutes.
To clear the memory of your garage door opener, you must perform two steps:
- The first press of your learn button will clear remote control and keyless entry connections. To do this, press and hold the learn button. The light will turn on for six seconds and then shut off.
- To remove the memory of MyQ accessory connectivity and door controls, press and hold the learn button within three seconds of the first light turning off. Hold the button for six seconds, then release and wait for the light to shut off.
Call Banko Overhead Doors for Garage Door Opener Services
When you need assistance locating your garage door opener’s learn button or programming your remotes and accessories, rely on the expertise available at Banko Overhead Doors. We have over 30 years of experience installing and repairing garage door openers throughout the Tampa Bay area and beyond. At Banko Overhead Doors, we also offer a large selection of advanced and reliable LiftMaster garage door openers with the latest features.