If you live in Florida, you know it is not always sunny in the Sunshine State. From June 1 to Nov. 30, Florida is in the thick of hurricane season, when tropical storms and inclement weather threaten to bring intense rain and heavy wind. Worries about expensive damages cause many people to seek reliable hurricane protection for their garage doors.
Though you may never be 100% ready for a fierce storm to hit, some home upgrades can add extra security. For example, high-quality, weatherproofed garage doors protect your home from severe storms.
This short guide will explain why upgrading your garage door is a worthwhile investment.
Table of Contents
- Stronger Materials Increase Durability
- Advanced Technology Protects Your Home
- Newer Doors Have Higher Functionality
- Specialized Designs Prevent Water Damage
- Modern Garage Doors Are Energy-Efficient
- Upgraded Doors Can Lower Insurance Rates
- A New Garage Door Will Increase Your Home’s Value
- Durability Creates Peace of Mind
Stronger Materials Increase Durability
In Florida, garage door hurricane protection is vital for keeping your home safe. You will get a better-built door by upgrading to a newer and higher-quality model. While standard garage doors have a single layer of steel, wind-rated garage doors offer extreme weather protection, with multiple layers of steel panels that withstand high winds and prevent damage from flying debris.
In addition to safeguarding your house, these materials make hurricane-rated doors easier to maintain and longer-lasting than standard models.
Advanced Technology Protects Your Home
Modern garage doors have innovative features that make them durable and easy to use, securing your home from intruders and the elements. Here are some benefits to look for in your new garage door.
- Rolling code technology: This tech changes the code connecting the remote control to the door after every use, making it hard for hackers to break in.
- An alarm system: If your garage door has a built-in alarm system, it will detect if anyone tries to open or tamper with it, triggering a loud alert on your phone.
- Smart technology: Many modern garage doors can connect to a smart home system, allowing you to monitor and control your door from your smartphone.
- Durable hardware: New garage doors come equipped with sturdy hardware that makes them reliable and secure.
Newer Doors Have Higher Functionality
While older doors may be loud, hard to open and break frequently, newer doors will be quieter and easier to use. During a storm, you do not want to worry about your garage not working properly, so upgrading it before hurricane season will ensure it functions correctly.
Specialized Designs Prevent Water Damage
When you live in an area prone to rain and flooding, water damage poses a significant threat to your home. If water gets past your garage door, it can lead to:
- Foundation damage
- Sagging walls and doors
- Paint peeling
When you upgrade to a high-quality garage door, it will be sturdy and weather-resistant. Its design will allow it to brave elements and prevent weather-caused damage. Unlike your old door, it will:
- Not swell shut when heavy rain occurs
- Have a locking mechanism that keeps it from opening during times of heavy wind
- Have tight seals that prevent rain from sneaking in
By design, high-quality doors keep the elements out, protecting your home from water damage.
Modern Garage Doors Are Energy-Efficient
The improved design that makes high-quality garage doors weather-resistant also makes them energy-efficient. Because these doors have better insulation and weatherstripping, they will protect your home from extreme heat and cold. Heat protection in Florida is essential because the weather can be hot and humid year-round.
High-quality garage doors will keep the extreme temperatures and elements out of your home, making it cheaper to maintain.
Upgraded Doors Can Lower Insurance Rates
Insurance companies know that hurricanes and tropical storms can cause costly damage to your home. Some insurers reward their customers who take steps to protect their properties from inclement weather.
If you plan to upgrade your garage door to a more weather-resistant model, call your insurance provider to ask if this update qualifies for a discount — and, if so, what their requirements are.
A New Garage Door Will Increase Your Home’s Value
Like other renovations, an upgraded garage door will make your home more valuable and desirable. You’ll have many options and styles to choose from, allowing you to match your aesthetic preferences and improve curb appeal. An updated garage door has one of the highest returns on investment of all home improvements you can make.
Durability Creates Peace of Mind
You’ll decrease your stress level by upgrading your garage door. You have plenty of things to worry about when an extreme storm hits, and you do not want your garage door to be one of them.
After upgrading, you can trust that your garage door will be safe from high winds and heavy rain with an extra layer of protection.
Trust Banko Garage Doors to Protect Your Florida Home From Severe Weather
Since 1984, Banko Garage Doors has sold high-quality commercial and residential products to homeowners throughout West Central Florida. We pride ourselves on providing fast and honest responses to our customers. When you contact us, you will always speak to one of our fully trained team members who will deliver quality service.
Our suite of products and services has grown over the years. In addition to selling garage doors, we also offer the following:
- Garage door installation, repair, replacement and maintenance
- Broken spring replacement
- Garage door opener repair and replacement
Additional Resources on Garage Door and Extreme Weather:
- How to Prepare Your Home for a Hurricane
- How to Protect Your Garage From Flooding
- How to Know If Your Garage Door Is Hurricane-Proof
- Considering a Garage Door Hurricane Reinforcement or Retrofit?