Cleaning your garage door is one of the most important steps in maintaining the quality and beauty of your home. While it may seem like a time-consuming task, a little preventive cleaning goes a long way to prevent serious issues.
The majority of garage doors can last up to 20 years when you invest the time and energy to maintain them. The team at Banko Overhead Doors has created this guide to walk you through the process.
What Are the Benefits of Cleaning Your Garage Door?
Cleanliness is essential for a home with a high-quality appearance inside and out. The benefits of cleaning your garage door include:
- Maintains finish quality: The elements cause wear and tear over time. Regularly cleaning your garage door protects the finish from dulling, fading or eroding.
- Protects warranty: Many garage door warranties require that the door receives periodic cleaning and maintenance as a part of the agreement. If your door should critically fail in some way, it’s key that you can demonstrate proper maintenance.
- Combats rust: Rust occurs when salt and dirt stick to the garage door over time. This build-up is an eyesore and can cause damage to the structural integrity of the door. Periodic cleaning is far easier than attempting to remove rust once it becomes a significant problem.
- Looks like new: When cleaned properly, a high-quality garage door can look like new to boost your curb appeal.
Garage Door Cleaning Tips
There are several tips and tricks to learn the best ways to clean a garage door. The main tips include:
- Assemble your tools: You’ll need a soft clean cloth, a mild soap, clean towels, a microfiber mop, a large bucket and a silicone-based lubricant for the weather stripping process. A car wash soap or dish wash soap are both good options. If your garage door is aluminum, fiberglass or steel, it’s important to wax it with a silicone-based solution like car wax.
- Pre-rinse the door: Wipe down the surface of the door with the map and then pre-rinse the entire surface with the hose. Never use extra-strength options like a pressure washer.
- Wash the door: Use your cloth and soapy water solution to scrub the garage door, including the weather stripping.
- Dry and wax the door: Rinse the door with a garden hose, dry the door and begin the waxing process, if applicable. You’ll apply the wax from top to bottom, starting at one of the top corners of the door across to the other side and then down to the next row.
- Lubricate weather stripping: The last step is to lubricate the weather stripping on your garage door. Use a silicone-based lubricant because a petroleum-based option could dry up or crack the stripping.
Connect With Banko Overhead Doors to Find Your Solution Today
Banko Overhead Doors has over 30 years of experience serving homeowners with five-star solutions. If your garage door needs repair or maintenance, reach out to the Banko Overhead Doors team today to schedule an estimate or contact us with any questions you may have about installation or service.
If you’re looking for a new garage door, feel free to browse the selection today. Whatever solution you need, Banko Overhead Doors is here to serve you!